Sunday, October 7, 2012

ArtPrize

The last day of ArtPrize was actually the first chance I had to really take a look.  Laura and I met her family for breakfast and some graps art.  It was a great way to celebrate her mother's birthday.  


Our first stop was the GRAM, which had not yet opened.  We were wrapped around the building at the end of a huge line, when a guard told us the wait would be over an hour once we got inside.  We nearly bolted.  Within 5 minutes, the line was moving.  15 minutes after that we were in front of the winner. Elephants.  



Yes, it's a similar concept to the pencil sketch Cavalry by Chris LaPorte that won two years ago.  



There was quite the story being told.  You could focus on a square foot for minutes and still miss something.


Speaking of Chris LaPorte... he was back with another amazing display of patience.  



Origami created to cast shadow silhouettes of actual people.  Not great from afar, but pretty cool up close.  

Side note:  When I was young my forehead and chin were equal with my nose.


Laura's fav.  


Not ArtPrize, but made me think of the Breakdancer.




The Gerald R. Ford Museum is one of my favorite places to explore in Graps, though I've found it's almost the children's answer to the BOB during ArtPrize.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the overview. We were sad we couldn't make it this year. Do you know what the guy who did the monkeys on the bridge last year did this year? I remember he said he had a great idea.

    Questions:
    What's with the giant pencil drawings?
    Is the guy who owns the BOB really that big of a jerk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea on the monkeys. I'll ask around.

      We missed you guys this year. I did not participate as much as in the past.

      I enjoy the pencil drawings, but am ready for some creativity. Did not see much of that this year.

      And yes. I think he is.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics. Thanks for the tour of Art Prize! Sorry to miss it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey VTC! How's it going? Long time no see

      Delete